There is a lot to see and do in the thousand year old Lyngby-Taarbæk Municipality
There is the shopping district around Lyngby Station, beautiful countryside, many opportunities to go back in history at Mølleåen (a stream) and interesting destinations for excursions, such as Jægersborg Deer Park – Dyrehaven and the old fishing village of Taarbæk and Bagsværd Lake.
Lively shopping area
Lyngby’s lively shopping area on the main street Lyngby Hovedgade and Lyngby Storcenter (a big indoor shopping center) have a long history and are directly linked to Copenhagen. Lyngby Hovedgade is a part of Kongevejen (the King’s Road), which connects Copenhagen to the Royal castles in North Zealand.
By Lyngby Church and the old Lyngby village, the road crosses the big stream that flows from the deepest lake in Denmark Furesøen to Øresund. The local watermill in Lyngby is from the Middle Ages and you can still see the wheel from the road. You can also go shopping in the miller’s shop, which has been open since 1903. During the 1700’s, craftsmen and merchants built one small house after the other on the main road going south.
By the end of the 1800’s, the small houses were gradually replaced by more urban two and three story houses, some with nice big shop windows and facades with glass and gold. This was the start of Lyngby Hovedgade as we know it today. In the middle of the 19th century, you could buy everything from coffee to cars on Lyngby Hovedgade.
In 1961 the shopping experience became even more exciting with the opening of a branch of the Copenhagen department store Magasin and in 1973, the doors opened to the shopping center, Lyngby Storcenter,.
When the first Lyngby Church was built, an administrative unit was established for the area around the church, Lyngby Sogn (parish). It included the villages of Lyngby, Virum, Lundtofte and Stokkerup there were near the current Eremitage Castle in Dyrehaven (Deer Park). Lyngby-Taarbæk municipality today covers the same area so the territory is about a thousand years old. Lyngby Church is the result of several phases of construction, which started in the 11th century and ended approximately in the year 1500.
In 1670 the king created a hunting forest in the Stokkerup area. The forest was named Jægersborg Dyrehave (Deer Park). It was opened to the public and the park has been a popular destination for excursions and Copenhagen residents ever since.
In the middle of the 1700’s, an amusement area in the southern part of the forest was created, called Bakken, and it still draws plenty of visitors and tourists throughout the spring and summer seasons.
In 1863 the railway was built to connect Copenhagen and Klampenborg station to the delight of Dyrehaven’s guests and the summer guests in the fishing village of Taarbæk by the coast of Øresund at Dyrehaven.
In the 1800’s people from Copenhagen also wanted to buy plots of land in Taarbæk and rent accommodation for the summer. Therefore the center of Taarbæk today is still the harbor but is now mostly a marina. Dyrehaven separates the two parts of the municipality and in 1909, the local council decided to mark the cohesion by allowing Taarbæk to be included in the municipality’s name Lyngby-Taarbæk.
Back in the 1600’s citizens from Copenhagen began to go to the countryside at summer and the first summer residence north of Copenhagen was Sorgenfri Castle by Kongevejen close to Lyngby.
In the 1700’s beautiful summer residences were built by the lakes along Mølleåen and Kongevejen in Lyngby. Two of these residences are open to the public today: Frieboeshvile where you can see interior decoration from 1756-1800 and Sophienholm and its beautiful park by Bagsværd Lake. Lyngby-Taarbæk municipality holds temporary art exhibitions at Sophienholm.
Lyngby Nordre Mølle (Lyngby northern mill), on Lyngby Hovedgade, is a functioning water-powered grain mill from the 19th century. Today it is used for arts and craft exhibitions.
Since medieval times, nine watermills have been located along the big stream from Furesø to Øresund and therefore the stream was named Mølleåen (the mill stream).
In the 1600’s the energy created by the watermills was utilized for various things, including paper for the king's banknotes, gunpowder for his guns and clothes for his seamen. Copper for the king’s roofs and housewives’ pots for Copenhagen ironmongers were also produced at the watermills along Mølleåen.
In the 1800’s the watermills were converted into factories that existed well into the 19th century as large industrial sites. One of them is the Brede Klædefabrik where the National Museum in the summer gives access to both a manufacturing home and a worker’s house. There is also an exhibition there about the history of industry.
In 1863 the railroad was extended all the way to Lyngby enabling summer visitors to become permanent residents and commuters to Copenhagen. There was a series of fine residential neighborhoods built near Klampenborg, Lyngby and Holte stations.
In 1930 the lines were drawn to delineate the modern suburbs. The oldest suburb settlements are the districts by Ulrikkenborg Plads (square) just off Lyngby Station and Virum Torv (Virum Square) near Virum station. Virum station was built as the local S-train station in 1936.
In the 1950’s and 1960’s Lyngby-Taarbæk developed as a suburb with buildings and towers, townhouses and residential neighborhoods. DTU (The Technical University of Denmark) was built in the 1960’s and is today an important workplace at the municipality. The old factories have closed and today many jobs are at the administration and development sectors.